Friends of Tafo - Community Development Project
This community development project is a UK registered charity that aims to empower as well as help the people of Kwahu-Tafo; an impoverished rural town in the Eastern Region of Ghana, via responsible giving that generates a capacity for self-development in education, job-creation, quality of life and infrastructure.
Friends of Tafo was founded in 2001 by the friends and family of the TV Producer Humphrey Barclay after his installation as Nkosuohene (Development Chief) in the ancestral home town of his friend, the late Ghanaian actor, Gyearbuor Asante. Friends of Tafo recently held a fundraising event at the Royal Geographical Society in London. The event saw celebrated comedian and travel writer Michael Palin (Monty Python) interview Humphrey on the goings-on in Kwahu-Tafo.
Kwahu-Tafo is one of a group of towns on the high Kwahu plateau north of the capital Accra. It has approximately 5,500 inhabitants. Unemployement stands at about 80%, however; many people have virtually no income. This in turn means thatÃ‚Â many children cannot attend school for lack of money for books and uniforms, and many of the schools are in a poor physical and financial state. The indigenous language is Twi, one of the Akan family of languages.This Community Development Project is run entirely by voluntary and unpaid efforts. They work in close partnership with the community of Kwahu-Tafo to ensure that the projects chosen and the resources allocated reflect local needs and priorities. To do this, Friends of Tafo collaborates with its sister organisation, the Kwahu-Tafo Development Council which initiates, budgets, prioritises and manages projects within the town.
Read more about this placement.
Performing Arts Coordinator
A volunteer is needed to help preserve and promote the cultural identity of Kwahu-Tafo and support educational initiatives by holding community performances.
A coordinator is needed to develop and promote projects aimed at increasing the yields of local farmers, whilst also encouraging more young people into agriculture .
The volunteer will advise town leaders on ways to improve community sanitation and execute a public education campaign to improve conditions in Kwahu-Tafo
Conflict Resolution Officer
Music Club Coordinator
A Music Club Coordinator is needed to train students in their individual disciplines, including Choral work, Brass, Traditional Drumming, Piano and Guitar.
A micro-finance advisor is required to develop micro-finance scheme which will be easily accessible to residents of Kwahu-Tafo to help grow local small-scale businesses.
- You must be at least 18 years of age upon application.
- You must have a background of relevance to the individual position and have a strong interest in community development.
- You should be willing to work in remote areas.
- In order to maintain the sustainability and high performance of this project all volunteers are required to complete a detailed hand-over document for successive volunteers.
- You will need to be flexible and tolerant, show initiative and enthusiasm to face the many hurdles and challenges that you will encounter.
- A completed application form - required for application.
- A personal or professional reference given by an employer, teacher, lawyer or doctor. This reference must include detail of the context in which the referee knows you, verifying your CV and stating that he/she knows of no reason why you should not volunteer. The referee should also provide their contact details in order that Ikando can contact them prior to your departure to confirm the reference given. This reference should be emailed by the referee to info [at] ikando.org.
- A copy by email to info [at] ikando.org of your travel (including medical) insurance certificates.
- Information on your travel arrangements (flight number, airline, arrival and departure time and dates). We always recommend volunteers who book online to email us their booking.
- A copy of the photo page of your passport to be emailed to info [at] ikando.org.
All Documentation must be sent to us at least two weeks before arrival.
|Project Duration||Minimum Duration 2 weeks - Maximum Duration 52 weeks (can be extended in-country)|
|Dates||You can volunteer at any time throughout the year.|
|Pricing||£ 481 for 2 weeks, £87 per week thereafter. For prices in your local currency click here.|
|Deposit||£ 150 (included in total price)|
|Location||Kwahu-Tafo in the Eastern Region of Ghana.|
|Airport to fly into||Accra Airport (ACC) - (also known as Kotoka International Airport)|
|In-country Budget||From $50 on a tight budget to $150 p/week if you wish to explore Ghana. Read more...|
Click here for more information on our pricing.
WhatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s included in the project fees?
In-country introduction to life in Ghana.
Airport pick-up & drop-off
24/7 Emergency support.
WhatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s not included?
Flights & Visa
Vaccinations (please speak to your local GP)
Health and Safety
Ghana is one of the safest countries in Africa. In the Global Peace Index it is ranked above the US. It is the perfect introduction for first time volunteers to Africa. It has a democratic electoral process and a stable economy. Our ten-strong team in Ghana is there to ensure your health and safety at all times and you'll have emergency support 24/7.
The volunteer will be housed in basic village accommodation in the rural Kwahu-Tafo, which will be within walking distance from the town centre where basic commodities are available. The accommodation may not have all the luxuries of urban housing such as running water, electricity etc., available at all times.
Food is not included in our placements as in our experience volunteers prefer to cater for themselves. We will introduce you to people within Kwahu Tafo who will be happy to provide you with meals. Evenings on the streets are a great opportunity to try many local delicacies such as fried yam, sweet potato and fried plantain. In the small village market you will find a selection of delicious fresh fruit and vegetables.
Airport Pick up
An Ikando member of staff will be at the airport arrivals to meet you and take you to the Accra accommodation for your first night. Please be aware that arrivals is located outside the airport, just keep an eye out for a sign with your name on it. Please ensure you send us your flight details two weeks before arrival.
Volunteers must arrange their own flights to Accra Airport (ACC). Please be aware that you should aim to arrive on the day your placement is due to start. If you are unable to do so please just check first with your volunteer coordinator whether the new dates also work for us. The following airlines fly into Accra:
- Alitalia (Lagos, Rome-Fiumicino)
- British Airways (London-Heathrow)
- Delta Air Lines (New York-JFK)
- EgyptAir (Cairo)
- Emirates (Abidjan, Dubai)
- Ethiopian Airlines (Abidjan, Addis Ababa, Lagos, Lome)
- Ghana International Airlines (London-Gatwick, Dusseldorf)
- Kenya Airways (Nairobi, Freetown, Monrovia)
- KLM (Amsterdam)
- Lufthansa (Frankfurt, Lagos)
- South African Airways (Johannesburg)