Frequently Asked Questions
As you can see our Frequently Asked Questions are very detailed. We have grouped them according to subject matter. If you cannot find what you are looking for please email us with your question.
- Choosing the right placement
- The application process
- Getting ready to travel
- The visa application
- Health & Safety
- What to bring
- Living conditions
- About Ikando
Choosing the right placement
- What can I do during an Ikando placement?
- What are the necessary requirements to be an Ikando volunteer?
- Can I take 'Time Out' to travel whilst volunteering?
- Is this for me?
- What can I expect from an Ikando placement?
- I want to volunteer as a teacher ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã¢â‚¬Å“ do I need to be a qualified teacher to be able to volunteer as one?
- Can I choose my own dates?
- I am a research student. Can you help me?
- How much help will I be able to give and what will the impact be?
- Can I talk to a previous volunteer about their experience?
- Can I call Ikando to discuss my placement options?
- What's special about Ikando?
- Be 18 or over
- Have fully completed our online application form.
- Have provided us a personal or professional reference given by an employer, teacher, lawyer or doctor. This reference must include detail of the context in which the referee knows you and stating that he/she knows of no reason why you should not volunteer. This reference cannot be from a family member. The referee should also provide their contact details in order that Ikando can contact them prior to your departure to confirm the reference given. This reference should be emailed by the referee to us.
- Have made full payment 60 days prior to departure
- Have thouroughly read our terms & conditions
- Have provided Ikando with photocopies of your travel and medical insurance certificates
- Have provided a photocopy of the photo page of your passport (just in case these documents are mislaid during travel).
- Have sent us information on your travel arrangements (flight number, airline, arrival and departure time and dates). We always recommend volunteers who book via the web to email us their booking.
- Have provided Ikando with all other required documentation two weeks before arrival.
Is this for me?
Are you open minded, looking to change your wallpaper and ready to work to make positive change happen? Then this is for you. Our only requirement is that you are over 18 years of age.
Please do think carefully about embarking on a volunteer adventure though, living and working conditions will not be what you are used to and you will need to prepare yourself for this. Just take a minute to imagine what it means to live and work in a developing country. Will you be able to cope occasionally without running water and electricity? How will you deal with people totally different from yourself?
We strongly advise people to do as much research as possible before signing up to a volunteer placement.
I want to volunteer as a teacher, do I need to be a qualified teacher to be able to volunteer as one?
It all depends on the requirements of the school you are applying to. Ideally most schools will require you to have some experience working with children or have a background in the subject area. For more information please see the individual placement pages.
I am a research student. Can you help me?
Yes, we are very happy to welcome all research students. We can help with finding you the people and organisations to talk to, the accommodation, support network, the necessary university administration, pre-travel arrangements and a letter confirming your research status for your visa application.
Yes you can. Please email us to request their email addresses. There are also a few blogs online from previous volunteers detailing their volunteer experience.
Ikando is not like most other volunteer organisations in two important ways:
- We only recruit volunteers for organisations in Ghana. Why? This allows us to know the country inside and out and as such we can meet your needs better. Our wide range of placements is an indication of how well known we are in Ghana. From the Ghana Red Cross to architectural projects, Ikando can find you a placement of interest to you.
It also means that our main office is based in Ghana. Unlike most volunteer organisations we don't just have one member of staff in country. We have our full staff team there to ensure you have a great experience.
- We do not recruit for our own projects but for organisations independent of Ikando. This means that our volunteers work for genuine projects in Ghana.